Forum: HockeyShare General Discussion
Page of 1     
11/12/09 2:36pm
Posted by: bigbrad24
Joined on 09/08/09
Checking Drills
Need some ideas for drills for Major Peewee team. Have kids holding back and not engaging , still trying to stick check.
Register or Log In to Participate in the Discussion
11/12/09 3:25pm
Posted by: Yuck
Joined on 11/02/09
I have high school kids with the same problem. I could understand not wanting to be hit, but my guys won't even put a body on other teams' defensemen during a dump and chase! I don't know if it's a laziness issue or if they think they can deftly steal the puck and put a quick one past the unsuspecting goalie...maybe my guys just want to be the hero and not a role player. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. We are getting physically dominated game in, game out.
11/12/09 3:44pm
Posted by: coachrickvaile
Joined on 01/02/09
Country Flag i recently put a drill called http://www.hockeyshare.com/drills/drill.php?id=211Angle Checking dril . You can have them line up in two lines and start with them interlocking arams and body bumping all the way down the ice then step up to not interlocking and body bumping down the ice again. Those are the two I use I aslo use player in the middle where they get around a circle and have one player in the middle then each player comes in to body check the middle guy. swith players as the finish all of the otherS. I use the USA dryland http://usahockey.cachefly.net/webofficecheckingvideo.wmvvideo for my 98 spring hockey and for my Atom team last year and it worked wonders. Please make sure they use the whole body to check and not just their Shoulder
11/12/09 4:05pm
Posted by: Yuck
Joined on 11/02/09
Locking arms is a great suggestion. I will be sure to try that next week. I actually tried running the Angle Checking drill this week and it didn't go as well as I had hoped. One guy took a hit about 2' off the boards and was down for a few seconds as he lost his breath. Sadly, this only reinforced to my team that if they are involved in checking - giving or receiving - they stand to be injured. Hopefully, keeping them at close range will eliminate this mindset.
11/12/09 5:37pm
Posted by: Kevin
Joined on 09/09/06
Country Flag Give them drills where they're forced to compete in small areas - like http://www.hockeyshare.com/drills/drill.php?id=187Corner Battles. This is one of my favorites - use it all the time with my midget team. They'll have little choice but to start getting at least a little physical with stuff like this. :)

Keep us posted on your progress!
11/13/09 11:03am
Posted by: coachrickvaile
Joined on 01/02/09
Country Flag [QUOTE=Yuck;7496]Locking arms is a great suggestion. I will be sure to try that next week. I actually tried running the Angle Checking drill this week and it didn't go as well as I had hoped. One guy took a hit about 2' off the boards and was down for a few seconds as he lost his breath. Sadly, this only reinforced to my team that if they are involved in checking - giving or receiving - they stand to be injured. Hopefully, keeping them at close range will eliminate this mindset.[/QUOTE]

what you need to do with this is reinforce that they need to get tight to the boards or you see what can happen. They will get hit by other teams so they need to learn to do the drills properly or they will keep getting hurt and shying away. They need to be smart by not trying to crunch the other player.

Do the USA dryland video first Great shot showing how to use the whole body and not just the shoulder. Then the interlocking . work them up from the easiest to something a little more like the game like the angle checking drill.
Do the drill in slow motion then pick up speed when they get the idea of angling and recieving the contact After a couple of times they wil get better .

You must as a coach have them stay tight to the boards. keep their feet moving and be in a good hockey stance. Explain to them the further away from the other player the worse it will be . Being in tight to the boards and player will be learned better with more drill time. do not let one player down on the ice dictate the drill as they need to learn it and get better and less injuries will happen in the long run.
12/11/09 1:03pm
Posted by: T.M.Diesel
Joined on 09/25/08
Country Flag Try a drill called running the gauntlet. Place all players two feet away from the boards in the neutral zone, first guy in line turns and skates through all checks down the boards. Picks up a puck at centre shoots on one side, picks another puck up at centre shoots on the other side and gets back into line.

For the person skating, keep feet moving, stay low and shoulders square.

For the checkers, just a quick shoulder hit, do not hold the skater up, so a quick hit and release.

This gets them use to the feel of checking and teaches them how to give and take a hit.
04/13/10 1:52pm
Posted by: crossovert
Joined on 04/13/10
It is hard to teach them familiarity with contact without risking injury, like Kevin said, the corner drill is very useful and so is the gauntlet. One thing you can do is show them hit reels of NHL players, when I see a big, hit I wan't to go and replicate it to try to earn the glory. Punching bags help too.
04/16/10 4:19pm
Posted by: hsrperi
Joined on 10/19/09
Checking Drills
Recently, our association in Kingston, ON ran a free 3 hour Body Checking clinic for all Atom players moving up to Minor Peewee tryouts and for all Minor PeeWee and Major PeeWee players that registered. We had 46 players, 4 coaches and 4 assistants. We showed Hockey Canada's 'Check it Out' video and had some discussion. The best part was an introduction by Jarome Iginla about when he played PeeWee hockey.
We followed the Hockey Canada model of teaching Positioning and Angling, Stick Checks, Body Contact Confidence drills and then Body Checking. It was very well received and all comments were positive.

I cannot seem to upload the lesson plan as it is too large however I may be able to send it to you by email. If anyone can help out let us know please.

Regards,
Harry
04/16/10 4:26pm
Posted by: Kevin
Joined on 09/09/06
Country Flag I'd love to see it. You can email it to me at kevin [at] hockeyshare [dot] com

Or use this link to upload the file: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=23c3babeebf625557432d3c9683f450a1f4d49cc340d167a759e682a8cd2154a

Thanks
Page of 1     

HockeyShare's Drill Diagrammer and Practice Planning Platform - Now Available...

Contact | Google+ | RSS Feeds | Subscribe to Newsletter | COPPA Registration Form | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service

© 2006-2014 HockeyShare LLC - All Rights Reserved | Phone: (262) 672-4126

Sucuri Verified

Dedicated to a dear friend, fellow coach, and my mentor.